Whitefriars Glass Forum

COLOUR COMPARISONS

COLOUR COMPARISONS
« on: October 11, 2008, 06:09:50 PM »
I thought I'd start a thread with photos of Whitefriars colours which often get midsdescribed on ebay especially. I will start with Amethyst versus Aubergine and will add others later, unless some of you have some handy photos showing the differences between the greens, the blues etc.

You should be able to see that the two on the left are Aubergine and have a distinctly "pinkish" hue compared to the two on the right which are Amethyst.

COLOUR COMPARISONS
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2008, 06:31:24 PM »
Another important way to differentiate these is that the 1960's Amethyst is only available in catalogued thin soda glass pieces. Ones like dented vases, 9484 bud vases, brandy glasses, some jugs and carafes etc. Amethyst was never in cased in clear crystal in any production pieces.

Vidfletch :lol:

COLOUR COMPARISONS
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2008, 08:25:38 PM »
Another important way to differentiate these is that the 1960's Amethyst is only available in catalogued thin soda glass pieces.

Hi Emmi, you are correct about the soda range being thin but i think it should be pointed out, so as not confuse beginners my 9.5" 9596 in amethyst which is the largest of the range is fairly thick and weighs .6kg (1lb 5oz).  :) Steve R

COLOUR COMPARISONS
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2008, 08:50:19 PM »
Not me mate, Vidfletch said that.  I would agree that some of it is quite substantial, especially the one above.  My smaller version without the pontilis quite thin by comparison as is the 9533 first discussed and it seems that the thinner they are they will not have pontils.

It goes without saying,although I've said it a hundred times before with issues of colour, that style and shape  and year of production of the vase versus the colour, will give a more accurate idea of what a true colour is. (if that makes any sense!) :shock:

COLOUR COMPARISONS
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2008, 01:50:28 PM »
And now for some greens....sorry photo is not brilliant, and if anyone else can get some greens together to get a better result that is fine by me.

L - R

Sea Green/ Green cased/ Ocean Green / Sage / Meadow Green / Aqua

COLOUR COMPARISONS
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2008, 03:09:28 PM »
An interesing thread to start Emmi - nice one

I'd add (and in reference to the other current discussion about undocumented pieces) that there are exceptions to the the Aubergine/Amethyst "rule". Am I right in thinking that Peter McCarthy's oversize tricorn is in amethyst?

Also, I think that there is a strange dark green that seemed to appear briefly in the 50's - almost a cross between sage and meadow:

Sage on left, meadow to the right and strange coloured 9435 to the middle.

Perhaps this is a experimental or shortlived colour?

Cheers,

Richard

COLOUR COMPARISONS
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2008, 07:26:42 PM »
Hi Emmi

There is also a dark green from the mid 60's that the Tricorns, knobblys and optic ribs to name a few where made in. called Green Cased also, but darker than your pulled rim vase from the 50's which was also called green cased just to confuse things

Julian

COLOUR COMPARISONS
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2008, 07:36:31 PM »
Green cased in clear crystal and Blue cased in clear crystal and the "Deep" versions as described in the 1960 catalogue are all one and the same. Depending on what it was the colours vary greatly. I have so many items in both colours, differing years and hardly any two were the same! A right pain the bahookey!

COLOUR COMPARISONS
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2008, 07:44:46 PM »
You are right David. But I could only choose one vase in Green cased for the photo Julian.

I have a fair amount of Meadow Green, and although in the main this seems a more consistent colour, depending on the thickness and style of vase, even that can have slight variations.

I think on this thread we should try to stick to catalgoued colours, ignore any slight variations and not get into long winded debates about any particular variation being some long lost experimental colour.  If an experimental colour comes to light , as it has done in the past, then it deserves a thread on its own, not here please.

This thread is here to help people who are not so familiar with even the regular catalogued colours and to try and point out the sometimes subtle differences.

Emmi

COLOUR COMPARISONS
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2008, 12:35:05 PM »
Three of the blues

L - R

Arctic Blue / Sapphire Blue / Sky Blue

I have deliberately not put a photo of a Sky Blue knobbly, as the colour is so intense becauseof the glass thickness, but have chosen a pattern with thinner glass which compares with the glass thickness of the Sapphire and Arctic Blue.

This second photo of a Sapphire 9287, shows a far heavier piece of older glass

where the Sapphire is very intense at the base due to thickness.  This is where

confusion sometimes comes in as if could be mistaken for Sky Blue.(c 1978 - 80)  Remember, Sapphire items were earlier items, Sky Blue later items.  I am not going to mention the VERY early Sky Blue here, as most of us are unlikely to see or have any of those.

Just for the hell of it, here are three Sky Blue knobblies..........you certainly can't mistake this blue for any other in my opinion...

COLOUR COMPARISONS
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2008, 12:58:20 PM »
As  previously mentioned, this thread is for catalogued colours of Whitefriars glass generally seen on ebay and to try to unravel the confusion some new collectors have between the colours.

Now for some more blues:

L - R Midnight Blue / Indigo

Very similar colours, but Midnight Blue was used only for the thin walled Soda glass range, and Indigo for the textured range.

COLOUR COMPARISONS
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2008, 01:30:23 PM »
Everyone note that Pewter is cased in clear crystal whereas the other two are not! Pay attention at the back of the class!!!  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

COLOUR COMPARISONS
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2008, 01:35:22 PM »
Silver versus Pewter

L - R

Silver candle holder/ Silver Decanter/ Pewter beaked/Pewter elephants Foot

COLOUR COMPARISONS
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2008, 01:46:55 PM »
Silver versus Twlight

L Silver decanter  R Twilight 9117

Look at the patterns!  Twilight finished in 1969 and Silver was only 1971 - 2 ish

Twilight has a definite brownish tint even seen in vases made with a weak colour mix, Silver is.......silver - no brown!