Whitefriars Glass Forum

COLOUR COMPARISONS

COLOUR COMPARISONS
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2008, 03:08:18 PM »
On my screen looks like

Pewter left  Indigo centre and not too sure about the right Willow ?

Chris
Cheers,
Chris

COLOUR COMPARISONS
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2008, 05:29:10 PM »
On the colour theme,

I have tried looking this up on these pages but if the explanation is there I have missed it.

Could someone please tell me why there are no tangerine swans or bubble paperweights (as far as I know) and why there are so few tangerine ducks and tricorns.

I note on this page http://www.whitefriarsorg.org/a5-galleries/a5a-peter-jacqui/collection/collection.htm. that the later patterns from 9825 onwards do not appear to have been made in tangerine but this should not include swans etc

I have also picked up the idea (hopefully correct) that making some objects required glass at a higher temperature than others. So was tangerine a colour that was difficult to work with at certain temperatures or is it another reason/just one of those things?

Liz :D  :D

COLOUR COMPARISONS
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2008, 11:36:43 AM »
Hi Elizabeth,  I am not going to attempt to help here, as it is such a complicated subject,  so I am going to wait as you are for someone with a better informed opinion....................Emmi :wink:

Phil G

lilac
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2009, 11:44:54 AM »
Am I correct that these are aubergine and lilac :?:  :oops:

I looked at the beginning of this thread at Aubergine and Amethyst but not sure.

http://i40.tinypic.com/avpooz.jpg

COLOUR COMPARISONS
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2009, 11:53:00 AM »
You are correct Phil,and quite lovely I must say. James. editid..I am wrong Emmi is correct. My gut instinct said there was'nt enough red in this colour. I should have listened to what Emmi told me about aubergine versus amethysist. Thank you Emmi. James.

COLOUR COMPARISONS
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2009, 10:42:24 PM »
Not quite right.........they were not made in Aubergine, so this will be Amethyst and Lilac, By the way that's the first Lilac one I have seen.  Very nice.

COLOUR COMPARISONS
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2009, 04:08:19 PM »
Hi All

Just to kick off the whole New Studio Amber and FLC Gold discussion again, here are what I think are two Tricorns the one on the left New Studio Amber and FLC Gold on the right which is slightly darker.

I also think these were made in Amber in the early sixties but that discussion is for another time.

Julian

COLOUR COMPARISONS
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2009, 08:58:46 AM »
Back to some colour comparisons, and here's a photo showing the difference between Blue Cased and Kingfisher

COLOUR COMPARISONS
« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2010, 11:13:12 AM »
I hope someone can help,

Looking at bidding on a bark vase at auction. Description states "Black" Whitefriars Vase but it must be either pewter or willow (I hope/thnk).

I already have a Willow 6" bark vase and would like to know if the atached is a lnk to nother willow or a pewter version. I hope the link technology works, if not I'll try again.

http://www.thomaswatson.com/item-details.asp?id=10255

Many Thanks

Dave K
Cheers

Dave King

COLOUR COMPARISONS
« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2010, 11:19:48 AM »
It looks like Pewter to me.  Willow would have a greenish tinge to it.

COLOUR COMPARISONS
« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2010, 11:24:28 AM »
Thanks Emmi for the quick repy. That was 6 minutes beating your previous best of 7 minutes.

Did I see you at a collectibles fair with a lap-top on a chain around your neck?  Only kidding seriously many thanks.

Cheers

Dave K
Cheers

Dave King

COLOUR COMPARISONS
« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2010, 11:38:37 AM »
LOL!!  No, but I have often thought about doing that!!!!

Phil G

COLOUR COMPARISONS
« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2010, 08:12:15 AM »
Hi Emmi, a few posts back are a blue cased and kingfisher comparison, I was under the belief (and I don't know why) that kingfisher was never cased, not so in the jugs, the left 9648 below is blue cased and the middle is kingfisher cased, the right is a kingfisher 9860 (wavy jug) cased.

The common 9419's I have are not cased nor the 9649 jugs, any thoughts or am I completely of the mark.

Thanks Phil.

COLOUR COMPARISONS
« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2010, 05:35:37 PM »
I have always been under the impression that all Kingfisher items were cased.  I have had a few items that looked as if not cased, but when the "water test" was applied, found there to be the thinnest of casing on them.

The water test, if you need an explanation:

Fill a bowl with fresh clean water.  Submerge the item and if there is casing you will see it under the water.  All the better if the bowl you are using is of clear glass to make it easier to see.  I had a Kingfisher bowl that looked uncased, until I did the water test.

However, if someone knows for sure that some items were not Kingfisher cased, then it would be useful to know which ones they were

COLOUR COMPARISONS
« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2010, 08:40:53 PM »
Hello,

I keep reading that silver was only 1971-2 or 3 but I am trying to date a 9775 lobed vase and I see in the catalogue for 1974 that it was made in the colours FKLRS.  Is the S silver?  I think my vase is silver but I'm still trying to learn the Whitefriars colours.

Thanks for any info.

Marie.