Whitefriars Glass Forum

Celebrating** Whitefriars** OPAL Glass

« on: March 03, 2009, 01:07:09 AM »
I thought it might be fun and interesting to show and compare the 3 distinct types of Whitefrairs Opal glass....they are....Straw Opal.....Blue Opal & Opal of course.

A celebration of Whitefriars Opal glass if you will.......

However...the white Venetian style Opal glass produced by Whitefriars is often overlooked in favour of Straw Opal and Blue Opal, but in my opinion Opal or Whitefriars Venetian white opal is particularly interesting and stunning....check out the bucket wine below and some in the recent film  The 13th Cambridge Glass Fair..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WegxEmyctM&feature=channel_page

Meanwhile if anyone else has Opal glass do please upload it for all to see and compare...

finger points at Blue Opal optic moulded tumbler-behind is a Straw Opal 1444 and in front an Opal Bucket wine :D

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 07:15:48 AM »
I do so agree, Tony!  I love ALL the varieties of opal glass.  

Just wish I could afford some of it!  :x  :cry:  :roll:

Thank you for the picture (and video)  :D
Leni

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 09:12:52 AM »
Quote from: "Leni Simons"

Hi Leni..I'm glad you mentioned cost to start things off. Yes some is expensive.

The glasses I've shown here were purchased at very reasonable prices from dealers recently and were bought at lower prices than many of Baxter's smaller vases.

Also some Powell opal slips through the net as Vaseline made by other companies which is partly why I thought it would be interesting to start a thread here to compare what Whitefriars produced and what other firms were producing at the time.

Is Whitefriars opal better quality? Are the designs more interesting than those produced by other companies? Was opal a speciality of Whitefriars to top other companies? What have other members got they may wish to share? or do we have to just look at the books for opal?.........cheers..t  :D

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 12:15:40 PM »
Hi Tony,

Our Webmaster has some nice pieces in his collection...............

Our old comrade Brian Balman was a great lover of early Powell and made comments here on a similar blue opal wine to yours....... http://www.whitefriars.com/contents.php?pageNum_Recordset1=3&totalRows_Recordset1=97&ID=28

Regards, Patrick.

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 01:56:46 PM »
Hi Patrick

Lovely glass thanks.

The Webmaster's bucket wine seems to be the same as mine as you say & look at and the way it picks up the colour of the surrounding turquoise. Often Victorian display cabinets were silk lined as you know so one can only imagine how whole sets of these glasses must have looked :shock:

Here's a shot of the blue opal optic tumbler as seen from above. The colour is exactly as one sees it, like a bright blue Med sea  :)..anyone else got any  pics they can show us to drool over....?

Cheers

:D

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 07:01:06 PM »
Tony,

I can't not contribute and comment on a thread like this !!!   :lol:

The opal pieces are superb, to put it simply ! I'm interested though to read of a plain opal colour - I'd always thought it was just straw and blue.

Still exploring and collecting - here's my contribution to the photo set

Enjoy     :D

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2009, 09:00:59 PM »
Opal glass is stunning, but an absolute minefield, that will take many many years to master.  Great thread.

:D

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2009, 10:10:24 PM »
Quote from: "Steve Leslie"
Tony,

.... I'd always thought it was just straw and blue.

Still exploring and collecting - here's my contribution to the photo set

Enjoy     :D

Lovely finger bowls Steve- which would have had saucers I presume.... and absolutely...most W'friars enthusiasts overlook the milky white Venetian Whitefriars Opal glass...very different....stunning..

...and Michael how right you are...a minefield. However if we get enough pics up here on this thread we should be able to expose the three opals and how they compare....particularly keen to see more milky white W'friars opal....Pinky.....calling Pinky... :P  :D  :lol:

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2009, 08:50:53 AM »
Quote from: "Patrick Hogan"
Hi Tony,

Our Webmaster has some nice pieces in his collection...............

Our old comrade Brian Balman was a great lover of early Powell and made comments here on a similar blue opal wine to yours....... <removed>://www.whitefriars.com/contents.php?pageNum_Recordset1=3&totalRows_Recordset1=97&ID=28

Regards, Patrick.

Hi Patrick

You'll notice that I've just added a comment to the link you gave on the Webmaster's opal bucket wine.

1862 was the first exhibition date for Whitefriars Venetian opal & its development at Powell's would have been earlier of course.

In "Glass-Making in England" of which I have a copy (pub 1923 p.120) Harry Powell writes "In the Exhibition of 1862, Richardson of Stourbridge showed opal vases painted in enamel, and Powell of London, vases in Venetian opal glass" also p.121 "Colourless Venetian Opal of 1862 was succeeded between 1875 and 1900 by several shades of green and amber, straw opal, blue opal, amethyst, horn-colour, chameleon, sea green, and sky blue. For a short time a transparent black found favour. Straw opal, introduced in 1879, proved to be well suited for shades for oil, gas and electric light."

:)

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2009, 07:31:32 PM »
Quote from: "Leni Simons"

Hi Leni-Your point about the price of opal had me running back to my copy of Catalogue "A" 1860's which has two price lists bound into in the back - 1866 & 1876 respectively as well as ink written prices beside each pattern(see below).

I notice that in 1875 pattern 1444 in "plain" cost 1/- TRADE PRICE

So how much in 1875 would the same 1444 vase have cost in opal?

<<<<STRAW OPAL 1444...How much in 1876?

Only 2 patterns in the 1876 pattern book have a printed cost for opal. They are 2067 & 2092. As you can see they were also made in Pale Green and Opal. The 2067 "Pale Green" vase cost 13/6 while the Opal cost 15/- vase Pattern 2092 in Pale Green cost 12/6 and in Opal 15/-(see below)

...therefore would a straw opal 1444  have perhaps the same increase..20%?...

I believe in 1876, 1/- in today's money would be about ?20!!! would you agree? I also believe that the average wage for an artisan in 1876 was about ?10 a week.

EXPENSIVE!

:shock:

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2009, 08:49:31 PM »
?10 a week for an Artisan back then is a lot of money, is that correct???  Someone should start a permanant thread for Opal glass, where anyone can send in pictures of their glass for a general opinion of it, and share any other information about the subject.  Im sure this would create a major amount of interest??? :)

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2009, 09:58:56 PM »
Quote from: "Michael Paul Bains"
?10 a week for an Artisan back then is a lot of money, is that correct???  Someone should start a permanant thread for Opal glass, where anyone can send in pictures of their glass for a general opinion of it, and share any other information about the subject.  Im sure this would create a major amount of interest??? :)

erata...sorry yes ?10 should read 10/-  :!:

Absolutely Michael....good idea...   :idea:  :D

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2009, 11:01:26 PM »
Hi

I too love opal glass, my pictures are not great but here is the link.

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/lh/photo/5KsfNSd-5F_eq2BYwKLM8w?feat=directlink

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/lh/photo/LAvsMJqcG0DOE7AlLO6XBA?feat=directlink

The second picture shows a Walsh Walsh lily vase. The opal glass of this factory was outstanding.

Regards

Hazel
I love Powell, Poodles and chocolate........

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2009, 09:19:28 AM »
I just LOVE that tiny glass in your first picture, Hazel!  :shock:  :D   Is that Powell?  

I don't think I have any Powell / WF in my own collection, although I do have some nice Walsh Walsh and Richardson pieces.  I would love to get my hands on some Powell!   :roll:
Leni

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2009, 12:11:01 PM »
Hi Leni

The small glass is indeed Powell, I bought two of them several years ago (the other one lives with a certain lady with a colourful name, known to frequent this forum) :P

The large vase is shown full page in the hardcover Whitefriars book - it looks much more yellow in real life than in my photograph.

All the items were bought at auction with no attribution - so it pays to view  :twisted:

Regards

Hazel
I love Powell, Poodles and chocolate........