Whitefriars Glass Forum

RAY ANNENBERG - GLASS AFTER WHITEFRIARS

« on: November 30, 2011, 02:09:31 PM »
Ray Annenberg is one of the most superb glassmakers of all time and many people are unaware of the  years of work he put in whilst employed at the Whitefriars factory.  He often not only designed some of the glass but even modified glass  designs from a previous decade and was  also  a" hands on "glassmaker.

When Whitefriars closed in 1980, he was still a relatively young man.  This thread is dedicated to his work after the demise of the Whitefriars factory.

He still makes glass when asked to do so and until recently was making some superb items for the Whitefriars Days which took place at the Adam Aaronson studio in London.

I start with two pieces from  the event in 2007.

Please feel free to add photos or links to videos of Ray's work.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 08:32:41 AM by Leni Simons »
Leni

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 06:37:30 PM »
And here are the paperweights and owl: 

Again, I have edited this thread to replace missing pictures with a link to an album.

https://picasaweb.google.com/elaine.simons/WhitefriarsPaperweightsCanes?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCPfiuI-n7fSdoQE&feat=directlink
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 08:41:46 AM by Leni Simons »
Leni

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 07:10:36 PM »
Leni

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 07:33:31 PM »
I also have a flint 9566 styled bud, two pink and one flint 9570 styled tricorn vases and a sea green lattice work w/bubbles owl signed R. Annenberg 2009. :D  :D

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 10:38:17 PM »
Hi,

I have deleted the post where I have thanked Emmi for her brilliant idea of the Annenberg 'Sticky'........  I did this thinking it would still be there on the 'Sticky' but it was not.

I should have copied it before deletion but did not.

Thank you Leni for the superb pics and I think Terrey is going to give us dates and where Ray worked over the years.

Regards,

Patrick. :)

john p hobbs

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2011, 09:03:29 AM »
I do know he had a couple of years out for National Service but i believe that was the only break  he had man and boy . i wonder if we can steal  a picture of him in uniform , must have a word with Hazel .

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2011, 11:45:53 AM »
Hi,

Just a couple of pics from Ray's personal collection............. These pieces made at Aaronson Noon studio a couple of years ago.

chris read

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2011, 04:00:33 PM »
Wow! Breathtakingly beautiful. What a wonderful talent Mr Annenberg.  :D

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2011, 05:32:09 PM »
Hi ,

Graham Arnold has sent me an image of two small Owls that he has...........

Ray made them in 2 sizes, Small ( made with a small bubble mould ) and Large ( made with the Ronnie Wilkinson bubble mould used for WF ducks etc. )

These 2 owls are about 75mm high I think.

Regards,

Patrick.

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2011, 02:33:48 AM »
Here's my other favourite Pinky:

From Cambridge I believe. I'll get a shot of Blacky the elephant tomorrow!

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2011, 10:29:09 AM »

Here is my small collection of Ray's work. I also have one of the bud vases (7 of 20) from the 2009 Whitefriars Day.

The larger penguin is 5.25 in, the smaller one 3.75 in and the owl roughly the same.

David Fuller

john p hobbs

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2011, 05:31:54 PM »
Well David it took a lot to drag you out of the sack Welcome back .

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2011, 09:25:16 PM »
This is a brief history of Rays time after he left Whitefriars.

Ray left Whitefriars in 1980 and at the beginning of 1981 Ray and Jonnie Paine started working as Master Glassblowers  for Dillan Clark and Chris Irons at Cambridge Glass.  They were allowed to blow a certain amount of glass for themselves in their own time..  After 12 months Ray started thinking he needed a job with a pension, so despite having good offers from Cambridge Glass and Island Glass in the Isle of Man, run by Mike Harris, he got a job as a hospital porter. Shortly after Ray left, Cambridge Glass became Midsummer Glass.

We now move forward to 1999 when Ray hired a pot from a small glasshouse in Whitney, Oxfordshire, where he made some elephants, paperweights and a few vases.

We now move forward again to 2007 when Ray started making jewellery with a small kiln he had at home, with  WF canes that were sliced up by Patrick Hogan.   Also that year Ray started blowing glass again at Adam Aaronsons on the first Whitefriars Day and did it again the following year and the year after.  Some of the streaky pieces i.e. owls etc,he used Whitefriars canes.  Ray, in the last six months has decided to put glass eyes using fused Whitefriars canes into some of the penguins and owls he made at Adam's.

Terry

PS I will post some pictures soon.

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2011, 09:55:38 AM »
Thanks for that Terry.  Let's have some photos soon. :)