Whitefriars Glass Forum

Comments made on this forum

Re: Comments made on this forum
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2014, 09:12:13 AM »
I support and thank Kerrin for the comment that buying anything that is non-standard is a huge risk. Remember the old saying "Buyer Beware"?

There are plenty of original desirable pieces on the market and these are where my focus lies.

I love the 9250 range. The skills that the workers employed to produce these monsters still amazes me. What about the tactile 9558? I was luck to find one in Ruby for under ?10. One of the best investments that I ever have made! The textured range is well documented and sticking to known designs with known colours is generally a safe bet. Stray off-course and the risks increase.

So, lets have clarity where it benefits the forum. And, lets have more thoughtful communication please. Like many others, this forum provides a useful resource for me and helps me to keep in touch with other collectors. Having a snipe at anyone is not nice but I understand that history and personality clashes may exist. But why not PM first so that a balanced view can be posted?

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2014, 01:24:00 AM »
Andrew this talk of having a snipe is in itself a snipe.I mearly state facts that moderators on this forum have made moulds and copies,it should be in the public domain and not in p.m's,one of these vases that Patrick made is on the .org site stated as a frigger and another in an antique centre for over ?400,collectors should know the facts and should not be told to keep it to p.m's.I don't have no history with anyone on here,people should know about what goes on and not hide away for fear of what others may think.All that talk you make about the textured range and documented colours is absolute nonsense,ask Patrick to post a picture of his ruby half nuts and bolts,then go on .org where it is clearly described as a "frigger".this is a public forum and I will speak in public and not quietly in p.m's,John hobbs gets a "telling off" from wolfie and when he replies he is then removed by moderator,who has "history" with him personally,so please don't ramble on to me about personal quarrels,this site is a one sided hypocrisy and we will see how funny it is when I start knocking some w/f copies out.

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2014, 08:49:54 AM »
Dale. I fully support your view on having information in the public domain and I would urge everyone to be open and honest. My post was not aimed at you or anyone in particular and I have certainly not "rambled" on to you personally. Sorry that you feel this way.
My point about any purchase is that "buyer beware". I did state that if you stick to known designs with known colours then it is generally a safe bet. Not 100%, as nothing in life ever is; it is only a way of minimising risks.
Besides, if you see an item and you want it, do you buy it for its beauty, its history or as a potential investment? Choices, choices, choices!

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2014, 10:47:40 AM »
C.R

Kerrin

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2014, 09:29:21 PM »

« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2014, 01:45:06 AM »
The very definition of the word frigger is an experimental item,if you take a look at that link which you kindly provided and then tell me that the photograph of patricks vase that he had made and baxters drawing next to it is not meant to decieve,I don't find it a "joke" by peter olive as patrick put it!by the way Kerrin you had your bid on the flint reverse d.b.l and it was lowball and I got a better price elsewhere,but I will give you a shout if your still interested when I've blown a dozen.cheers.

Kerrin

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2014, 06:47:11 AM »
Dale unusal and  experimental items on an old web page that anyone could   send pictures to is a little different to stated" Frigger on org "
As with any purchase you need to use your integrity if you brought a stated reproduction  bricklayer dont get upset when it turns out to be a reproduction.
But then selling at a higher cost claiming to be an original is hardly being a saint is it.
My offer for your repro was fair.

« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2014, 10:17:29 AM »

As with any purchase you need to use your integrity if you brought a stated reproduction  bricklayer dont get upset when it turns out to be a reproduction.
But then selling at a higher cost claiming to be an original is hardly being a saint is it.

I agree with you Kerrin................. Making something in the region of ?300 on the back of a non Factory brick when he states he is against anything being made that might be sold as an original is a bit of a joke .   But then he did offer a full refund when his deal was made public.  :)

Chris Woolman

• visit me at www.haybarnglass.co.uk :)
    • www.haybarnglass.co.uk
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2014, 11:55:22 AM »
I feel I must just add something here.

Before Dale sold this vase I held it and examined it. While I'm no expert at all I matched perfectly with the genuine dot pattern and was completely "right" in every way. The argument about the wide pointy doesn't stack up as I've had many with wide pont marks.

The information widely available, both in books and online never stated that these were produced after the factory closed. Yes two members on here told Dale that they new it was not made in the factory but failed to give any concrete information as to how they knew.

Dale was faced with two possabilities and both being plausable.

The amount someone paid for the brick was there choice and to be quite frank non of anyone's business outside of Dale and the buyer.

Dale did offer a full refund as Patrick pointed out.

Buyer beware is a great and over used phrase especially when all the facts are far from out in the open.
Visit me at my site www.haybarnglass.co.uk :)

Marc

« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2014, 12:11:41 PM »
Well said Chris. These vases are well documented as genuine so what do you believe? Whoever knows the truth about any repro designs made need to tell all otherwise they are as complicit as anyone knowingly mis selling.

« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2014, 02:02:23 PM »
Kerrin you paid more for the right way round flint one with postage than you offered for mine,so imo was lowball.

« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2014, 02:57:39 PM »
Thanks for the comments Chris and Marc.

If you look back a few threads the other point that I made was: -
"... if you see an item and you want it, do you buy it for its beauty, its history or as a potential investment?..."

I have many items that I have bought "because I like them", as no doubt others have. This could still apply to any Whitefriars of "dubious origins". I very much doubt that I would personally take a risk on these items as an investment.

However, the selling an item that has intentionally been miss-represented is not only morally wrong but could also be a breach of the Law. So how do we move forwards? Do we ask people to be open and honest and lay their cards (sorry moulds) on the table? Might that be of benefit to all?

Note that this is easy for me to suggest as I don't have any moulds!! Others may have an opposing view so keep the feedback nice please!!

« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2014, 06:56:50 PM »
one of these vases that Patrick made is on the .org site stated as a frigger and another in an antique centre for over ?400

I know this is not really helpful to the conversation but can someone let me know which antique centre has one of those half N&B, I always loved the look of that blue one on Peter's old site and would love to have a look in the flesh

Chris Woolman

• visit me at www.haybarnglass.co.uk :)
    • www.haybarnglass.co.uk
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2014, 07:34:42 PM »
Louth antiques centre Lincolnshire
Visit me at my site www.haybarnglass.co.uk :)

« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2014, 08:43:21 PM »
I cant really follow this at all with regards to the Flint Bricklayers. I thought it was known that historical reproductions were known as far back as 2005.

I far as I recall;

A number of flint Bricklayers were made by Jonathan Andersson both front and rear facing from the original mould. As well as some other non Whitefriars colours and weird streaky ones but all were signed by him.

A.N.Other glass blower experimented with the mold - I'm guessing some of these escaped!!

And as far as I'm aware, the two that are in the collection of Graham Cooley are the only genuine (ex factory and at the correct time) Flint bricklayers, these are both Forward and reverse blown.

Is this correct or not.

By the way also, I though a frigger was a fun or novelty item made from glass that was left over at the end of the day for the enjoyment or to be sold by the glass blower (perk of the job) or have I got that wrong as well.