Whitefriars Glass Forum

lobed vase with disc base Whitefriars?

lobed vase with disc base Whitefriars?
« on: May 14, 2014, 01:49:10 PM »
Hi,
I bought this vase with several Whitefriars pieces and the colour looks like sea green.  The base is a disc foot.  Can anyone help with id please?  I can't spot it in the catalogues but I may be overlooking something obvious.  I was thinking a James Hogan design, then I wondered about Wuidart then Stromberg and Orrefors.  Now I'm just confused!  ???
Thanks,
Marie.

Re: lobed vase with disc base Whitefriars?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 08:04:53 AM »
Marie,
This is a tricky one     :)

There is a very similar Whitefriars vase, pattern 9361 from the 1940's, except that that appears to have a more separate foot than yours, and is clearly described as being "5 way", where yours is 6-sided.

There is also a vase from Elfverson (importers of Sweedish glass), pattern 3062, from the 1930's, which matches yours in profile, and is also 6-sided.

Capt H J Dunne Cook, who was director of Elfverson, also designed for Whitefriars, and the latter company "borrowed" many designs from the Swedes.

I suspect therefore that your vase is by Strombergshyttan - if so it will likely be 8.5" high ?

My source is the Glass Assoc Journal, from 2008, which has the Elfverson catalogue, as well as photos of the various pieces.

Cheers,            Steve L   :)

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 08:20:50 AM »
Hi, Steve's thoughts match my own but I don't have the Glass journal to refer to.

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2014, 09:21:57 AM »
Hi Steve and Wolfie,
Thank you for your replies.  My vase is 6 inches high.  (The vase came with a bunch of others from a down-sizing Whitefriars collector through a dealer friend. )   Just did a search on Elverson.  Did you know they played an important part in the history of the yo-yo?  So Stromberg imported by Elverson is the best lead.  I'll do some further digging on those lines.  I don't have the Glass Association Journal referred to, but it says on their website that you can view back copies if a member.  It's about time I joined the Glass Association so this is probably the push I need.  ?25 a year seems pretty reasonable.
I'll update this post if I can add any info and thank you for your help,
Marie.

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2014, 10:14:46 AM »
Marie,
I'd guessed yours at approx 8.5", but there were 4 sizes in the range - 12", 10", 8" & 6", so it still works. The colours available were blue, straw, "Tormaline Green", amethyst, silver, & flint. The photo shows the green as fairly similar to Whitefriars Sea Green, but I don't have other examples to directly compare.

Cheers,             Steve L

And no, I didn't know about the yo-yo, but nothing surprises me now      :)

Marc

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2014, 10:49:20 AM »
Hi all, I have a blue one and the furthest I could get was Strombergshyttan.

Ollie

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2014, 02:15:38 PM »

Vases and bowls from Elfverson & Co./Strombergshyttan.

Cheers, Ollie

Marc

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2014, 04:11:45 PM »
The bowl on the right looks like a footed 9250 :)

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2014, 01:36:50 AM »
Hello! Maybe I can help with this collaboration Elfverson and Str?mbergshyttan. The vase model in the first post is in my catalogs from Str?mbergshyttan called B50. I have three catalogues with this model, one from about 1935, one from 1939 and one from 1941-42. The smallest size there  is 170mm (nearly 7 inches) and the tallest 300mm (about 12 inches). There are 4 sizes.  In the Elfverson catalogue (published in The journal of Glass Association 2008) there are two sizes 8" 5/6 and 6" 3/4 (220 and 170mm). I think this is a Gerda Str?mberg design, not HJ Dunne Cooke. I think it's a missinterpretation that Dunne Cooke designed many of the glass models made by Str?mbergshyttan in the 1930s. Most of the models presented in the Journal of Glas Association 2008,  are found in the catalogs from Eda glassworks 1927-33 and in the catalogues from Str?mbergshyttan 1933-42. One model attribuated to Dunne Cooke, a decanter in fig. 1 and fig 27 is the model E3:395 from Eda 1929 by Gerda Str?mberg, and this model also appear in the Str?mbergshyttan catalogues as model E51. I have Gerda Str?mbergs original drawing from Str?mbergshyttan shown in the picture. The Str?mbergs was not allowed to use the same models when they left Eda for Str?mbergshyttan, but did anyway for some models. If Dunne Cooke made some models, it must have been only a very few. I grew up att Str?mbergshyttan. My grandfather Knut Bergqvist was a partly owner 1928-33, he worked there until earley 1950s as masterblower and leader, and my father Putte Bergqvist was a production leader and worked at Str?mbergshyttan from late 1930s to 1979. I have never heard they said anything about H J Dunne Cooke. I think the article in the Journal of the Glass Association have some holes and gapes, and the conclusions drawn are probably a bit exaggerated.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 01:40:04 AM by rebessin »

Marc

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2014, 01:51:41 AM »
Thanks for this info rebessin  :). I really like this range and I'm always looking for more but they are hard to find.

Ollie

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2014, 08:58:32 AM »
Rebessin,

You have a wealth of history and information under your belt and I'm all ears  :)
Would you have any information on the "Swirl" range?
Looking for who designed this range, years produced and what kind of numbers produced.

Many thanks, Ollie

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2014, 09:42:50 AM »
The swirl vases does not appear in non of my catalogues from Str?mbergshyttan 1935, -39 or -42. Belive not in the material I have from Eda either (have not checked all). But I have seen a swirl vase in my fathers collection from Str?mbergshyttan. I think the vase was sold from my parents estate for some years ago. Then I did not know what it was, I thought it was an experiment by my grandfather Knut Bergqvist about 1928-33. Now I know better. The swirl can very likely be one of the designs by Dunne Cooke, produced in Str?mbergshyttan.

Ollie

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2014, 10:49:52 AM »
I was thinking on the same lines about it being a DC design. Maybe someone liked his work and used it a couple of decades later at Whitefriars. The vase in the middle is signed "Swirl" 7". But the actual height is 8"  ???
Very interesting in that your Grandfather had a piece.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2014, 06:50:23 PM »
Not sure how to go on with this thread without hijacking marie m's post.
I am a collector of elfverson/stomberg and have been intrigued by the link to w/friars.
Do you think I should start my own posting and hope yourselves and rebessin joins in.
I think this person could have good input.
Thank you.

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2014, 05:13:21 PM »
Not sure how to go on with this thread without hijacking marie m's post.
I am a collector of elfverson/stomberg and have been intrigued by the link to w/friars.
Do you think I should start my own posting and hope yourselves and rebessin joins in.
I think this person could have good input.
Thank you.

Hi,
Feel free to post any questions or information in this new 'Category' and hopefully our new member rebessin will be able to fill in all the gaps we have experienced over the years. 

Regards, Patrick.

Ps. Welcome to the forum Rebessin.  :)