Whitefriars Glass Forum

Genuine or fictional membership of 56,180?

Ollie

Genuine or fictional membership of 56,180?
« on: July 26, 2014, 12:07:53 AM »
Is there anyway of tidying up the actual/genuine amount of members on this forum?
Just seems very strange that at this moment in time that there is 56,180 members and only a handful seem to log in or even bother post.
So how many genuine worldwide members are actually out there?
I'm a member of another forum (not glass) where the admin regularly sends out an email to members to log in to re-activate their account if they haven't posted or logged in again within a certain period of time. Obviously this is done so the admin can erase all the spam membership/crap and free up space on the website.
Anyone else think the same??
Cheers,Ollie

Re: Genuine or fictional membership of 56,180?
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 08:30:22 PM »

I'm a member of another forum (not glass) where the admin regularly sends out an email to members to log in to re-activate their account if they haven't posted or logged in again within a certain period of time. Obviously this is done so the admin can erase all the spam membership/crap and free up space on the website.
Anyone else think the same??
Cheers,Ollie

I think we have only 80 members that currently view/follow topics on the main forum...........  Trying to delete all the others members that arrive by robots and other ways would be a major task.
 I am not sure it would free up a lot of space and I am sure if it was a major problem something would be done.

Regards,
              Patrick.

Ollie

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2014, 08:17:27 PM »
Patrick,
Ever considered the site to be a closed group with lets say a ?5 one off or even a ?5 yearly subscription fee?
All proceeds could go back into the site and when a piece of Whitefriars history appears on the market (eg. the sunspot tool)there could be available funds to purchase it for lets say the Harrow museum.
Regards, Ollie

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2014, 10:10:58 AM »
Hi Ollie,
 I am just a 'Moderator' ( Although I show as  Administrator ) and the site is owned and run by Steve Thompson.

I am not sure paying money to be a member of this site is the way to go........... just my thoughts.

Cheers,

Patrick.

MikeK

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2015, 10:35:55 AM »
I'm a new member here and a new collector of Whitefriars glass.  I am also the owner of a photography forum, and it was a minor challenge to purge the dormant members and spammers when I migrated from vBulletin to XenForo software and changed to a new server.

The previous owner of the photography forum didn't have much time for the administration or implementing anti-spam measures.  As a result, there were over 15,000 spam accounts that I had to delete, as well as another 10,000 dormant accounts.  A dormant member was any member who had no posts and had not visited the site for at least a year.  Cleaning up the database made the migration easier.

Ollie

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2015, 04:38:25 AM »
MikeK,
 If you have the know how please put it forward. This site is very open, bit too open, and should maybe a CLOSED group just like the facebook groups.
How do other members feel about it?
I've got the impression people join .com only to post an "is it" to then see it on eBay a few hours later.
All the best and one too many, Ollie

MikeK

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2015, 11:41:46 AM »
I'm not familiar with SMF, but after a quick search through the online manual, there is a built-in way to prune members through the Forum Maintenance section of the Administrative Center:

"Remove Inactive Members - This function allows the removal of inactive users. It is possible to delete all users who have not logged in for a defined period of time, or who have not activated the account. It is also possible to select to prune only one or more membergroups."

Most forum software packages have an easy to use administrative interface that allows this type of maintenance while preserving the integrity of the database tables.  With my aging, but active, vBulletin board (version 3.x), I took the forum offline before making any major changes since I re-indexed the thread, post, and member counts.  This took several hours and I didn't want members creating new posts or threads during the process.

As with most free discussion boards, the administrative and moderation functions are usually performed by volunteers with other demands on their free time.  This is no different with my forum, so I don't want to give the impression that this won't take some time, require planning for the database backup, and giving advance notice to the membership that the forum will be down for maintenance.

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2015, 01:34:07 PM »
Hi Mike,

Thanks for your thoughts and yes the members could be pruned but currently it is not a problem.......... 
 We were having spam problems from robot members but that has been sorted.

Cheers,

Patrick. :)