Whitefriars Glass Forum

Glass cutting on eda decanters

Glass cutting on eda decanters
« on: September 28, 2014, 10:57:58 PM »

I have two eda spirit decanters signed eda 30 on the base.They both carry "jazz age" cutting .
One of the images is exactly the same as an Edmond Hogan and dunne cooke wine glass illustrated in the top left hand corner of fig 169 of the Lesley Jackson w/friars book.
Does anybody know if Swedish glass cutters worked at w/friars?
Will try to upload some more detailed images of both decanters.
Thank you,
tim

Marc

Re: Glass cutting on eda decanters
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 12:15:43 PM »
There is a list of employees in the museum book. A little cross-referencing might yield some answers.

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 06:55:24 PM »

Thanks for the reply marc,i do not have the museum book but may have a chance to borrow one.
I was very interested to see that rebbessin had some eda information.
sorry for the image quality,will try to improve.
one of the decanters is light straw in colour and the other is pale ammerthyst.
they both glow under uv light!

Marc

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 09:34:54 PM »
The engraving style on these decanters look very similar to the engraving on the Whitefriars 9000 lager set c1938 I think.

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2014, 10:32:30 PM »
I think so as well, but that seems to put a good few years between them.
Does anybody know if w/friars were using uranium in their glass mix around this time?
Thank you,
Tim

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2014, 12:19:09 PM »
Hi,
 These decanters do certainly have the same engraving as the Whitefriars examples using the 1464 wine service glasses. This design was going to be claimed to have originated from Sweden and Dunn Cooke until I pointed out to the writer of the Glass Association article that it was used by Whitefriars in 1930. Aparently the registered design of the decanter post dates that.

See this advert from the Daily Mail, November 11th 1930.

Here are 3 glasses using this design.........

Regards,

Patrick. 

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2014, 10:15:34 PM »
Thanks for the reply Patrick,lovely to see the advertisement from the daily mail.
It would be helpful if somebody had some information on the date that the decanter was first produced.
As to where the engraving was done that is a mystery.
A-  w/friars engraving was subbed out to Sweden ?
B- eda decanters were engraved at w/friars?
C-the actual man who did the engraving worked at both places?
Any help would be appreciated
Thank you,
tim

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2014, 05:30:49 PM »
Will make some enquiries at the Swedish glass museum and let you know what happens.
Thank you.

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2015, 05:22:59 PM »

Not much of an update on this subject but I have just come across an image of a dancer(Josephine Baker?)
which is a sculpture made of glass and metal by Napoleone Martinuzzi for Venini in 1928.
This sculpture was shown in Paris and London at about this time and has since been lost.
Is it possible that the sculpture was seen by Edmond Hogan at the time and inspired him in some of his Whitefriars work?.
Is there an Edmond Hogan sketchbook in the public domain?.
Any thoughts or comments gratefully received.
All the best for 2016,
Tim

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2016, 09:33:28 PM »
Splashed out at Christmas and bought myself the Swedish glass factories, production catalogues book.
The book contains an Eda catalogue from 1930 which has the above decanter and is given the number 3107 (page 416).
So the date I have for my decanters seems good but when and more importantly where was the engraving done?
Any help appreciated.
Tim