Whitefriars Glass Forum

Stromberg Elverson vase?

Stromberg Elverson vase?
« on: November 25, 2014, 12:25:48 PM »
Did I share this with you in 2013? I placed it on the GMB and the summary responses are below.

?I bought this in 2013 at an antique fair and I am wondering as to the origin. Unsigned with a polished pontil, it is 4" tall (105mm) and 4 3/4" (120mm) diameter at the widest point. It weighs 1.3kg. The colour is smokey grey and has the usual wear marks on the base associated with an older piece. It is also very tactile.?

?That shape and colour put 1930s Stromberg, in my mind?

?Good call, looks very similar to two vases imported by Elfverson and co from Stromberg.
They appear in a catalogue reproduced by the glass association in there journal number 8.?

?Stromberg was mentioned in the other thread as well, as was the journal: The Journal of the Glass Association volume 8 is full of that smoke coloured glass in the Elfverson catalogue of Stromberg glass most unsigned particularly the Dunne Cooke items. Journal Volume 8 2008?

?I've searched Stromberg, but haven't come across this piece. Is the vase in the catalogue, or is it just similar??

?The catalogue we are referring to is an original Elverson catalogue of a wide variety of glass made by Stromberg in the thirties and not signed by them. I have not seen this catalogue published anywhere else. The two images which are very similar are outline drawings with shading. The only doubt I have is that they have a height shown as 6 inches, 150mm.?

ANY THOUGHTS? YET ANOTHER WONDERFUL TACTILE PIECE THAT I OWN.

Re: Stromberg Elverson vase?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2014, 06:07:47 PM »
Had one before will see if I can find the thread but it was a long time ago

Chris
Cheers,
Chris

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2014, 11:03:41 PM »
Cannot find the thread on here but this was very similar to the one I had.
Suggestions vary from Czech to Dutch to Scandinavian but no definite attribution.

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,40967.0.html
Cheers,
Chris

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2014, 06:44:38 PM »
Hello Andrew, looking at the elfverson/Stromberg catalogue in the glass association journal I think your vase is a bigger version of the one in the catalogue(b.41).
To my eyes the colour and shape look correct.
All the best,
Tim