Whitefriars Glass Forum

How did your collection start?

How did your collection start?
« on: January 21, 2016, 11:24:40 AM »
Hello!
I'm new to this site and I've found it incredibly useful.
I've been collecting in a haphazard way for a few years and I was just wondering how everyone else started their collection?
Mine was a pair of lovely green M74 that I picked up by chance for ?2 in a charity shop.
Although they are water glasses I use them for wine!
I didn't realise that they were from the same firm that created the Drunken Bricklayer Vase and I guess thats why I became so interested. 
My love of that vase goes back to when as a student my Mum wouldn't let me spend ?40 quid on one that I found in some random secondhand stall! 
I've gradually worked my way up to having a Drunken Bricklayer Vase - it was a little more the 40 quid.... but thanks to this site at least I know its genuine!
 :D

Marc

Re: How did your collection start?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2016, 01:58:22 PM »
Hi JayVee, welcome to the forum :).

I'm glad you've found the site useful :). I think most people's collections started off with a chance encounter. Mine was with a King and green 9711 at an antiques fair. We wanted a nice centre piece for our dining table and we saw a beautiful pink and white Flygsfors bowl, next to it was the 9711 and I thought it was stunning, so we had both.

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2016, 08:41:56 PM »
Hi JayVee and welcome.
I started collecting Georgian and Victorian drinking glasses and decanters about 15 years ago. It started through a customer of my family business who collected Georgian glasses and I used to visit his home through work every 6 months.
I collected these for 4 or 5 years and then got into selling, quite liked the selling side of things and looked what was selling well in the world of glass and Whitefriars is what I chose.
I no longer collect Geo and Vic and now mainly collect pieces made by Vicente Boffo and Ray Annenberg while they were at Whitefriars and after they left.
I have no idea what my first piece of Whitefriars was but I first started studying and collecting in earnest when I met Patrick Hogan in 2007 after selling him an Embassy jug.
One of my earliest pieces that I still have in my collection is a sky blue duck which I bought off eBay for ?17 buy it now :)

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 08:50:21 PM »
I met Patrick Hogan in 2007 after selling him an Embassy jug.

I started collecting after the Manchester Exhibition in 1996........... seems a lifetime ago :)

My father and grandfather both worked for Whitefriars and I mainly collect pieces by them.

Beware it can easily become an obsession. :)

Happy collecting.

Patrick.

Ps, feel free to put your finds in the 'Gallery' section........ sadly very under used.

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2016, 11:02:45 AM »
My first purchase was almost 4 years ago to the day. It was a midnight blue soda vase number 9591. From this humble beginning I was hooked!!
Now I have numerous rare vases in my collection and also a banjo, sage rocket and lilac tulip vase. Some 150 items in total.
I have also a sky blue 9690 bark vase, not the most valuable but certainly extremely high on the desirability front.
Most importantly, it gets me out to search for those hidden gems. Two in my collection spring to mind which cost me less than ?50 for the pair. Valuation is probably more than ?750.
So, you will get hooked and mistakes will be made along the way. Enjoy glass for its natural beauty and don't forget that this forum is always around to help and advise.

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2016, 11:59:33 PM »
Are you looking T to sell the Sky Blue 9690 Bark vase Andrew? Just looking for this and the aqua to finis the set  :)

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2016, 10:44:48 AM »
Hi
I started collecting about 12 years ago when I came across a twilight slab in an antique shop for ?4 I now collect these and the textured range and have well over 100 pieces in my collection.

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2016, 05:19:07 PM »
Flicking through my little Black glass book shows that my first purchase of Whitefriars glass was a ruby 6 inch bark vase, date 22/3/1998.  I then collected everything Powell across all the years.  In Oct 2003 I sold my Baxter collection and purchased 1920-40's pieces at the Country Seat.  I returned again to the Country Seat in July 2004 and sold my Harry Powell collection, and purchased more 1920-40's pieces.  My collection now consists of 1920-40's pieces, (over 100)  Last Powell purchase was a 8608 vase in Cloudy Streaky green and blue, date 15/2/2016.  I moved to the Scottish Borders 6 years ago, and really miss meeting everyone at the Glass Fairs.

Ian 

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2016, 06:07:33 PM »
In Oct 2003 I sold my Baxter collection and purchased 1920-40's pieces at the Country Seat. 

I remember that and I am still looking for the Hogan vase I could have bought but never did !  :)

All best wishes,

Patrick.

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2016, 07:08:38 PM »
Hi Pat,

If I ever find another, I'll let you have the original one.

Best wishes

Ian