Whitefriars Glass Forum

9673 Drunken Bricklayer mould.......

9673 Drunken Bricklayer mould.......
« on: April 06, 2016, 04:28:33 PM »
The 9673 Drunken Bricklayer vase is certainly one of Baxter?s most iconic designs??.. dating from 1967 it proved to be one of the company?s most popular textured vases.

A few months ago I had the opportunity to acquire the original mould from Jonathan Anderson with the thought that a place could be found for all to enjoy over the years. Reino Liefkes, Senior Curator and Head of Ceramics and Glass, at the V&A in London was very pleased to be gifted it for their collection. The V&A is the world's leading museum of art and design.

They currently have no space to display it among their many glass items but they will certainly feature it in specific design exhibitions, when relevant. The mould is over in their stores at Blythe House ??. For anyone wishing to make an appointment to take a good look at it they just need to email CeramicsStudyRoom@vam.ac.uk to arrange a time. It doesn?t feature on their 'online Search the Collections' just yet, as it is awaiting being given a permanent museum number, so you will just need to be sure to clearly describe the object.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 03:28:49 PM by Patrick Hogan »

Marc

Re: 9673 Drunken Bricklayer mould.......
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2016, 09:12:20 AM »
Thanks Patrick :). Got to say that the mould looks completely useless now. Did he have any other moulds for sale?

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2016, 11:04:32 AM »
Yes looking at that middle brick there are a good few dimples missing
I guess it must have been rusting away somewhere.
Nothings been made in that for a good while by the looks of it, which is a good thing.

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2016, 03:03:32 PM »
Yes looking at that middle brick there are a good few dimples missing
I guess it must have been rusting away somewhere.

No they have NOT been lost because of rust !

They were lost whilst the mould was being used in the factory........   I have spoken to Ray Annenberg who used to make them and he tells me that when the mould was first used on a shift it was heated by filling it up with molten glass and sometimes it was left too long and the glass set !    The only way to release it was to give it a bash and that broke the nail heads XXXXXXX

XXXXXX The original wooden mould used oval wire nails as can be clearly seen in this close up.........

If you look at this image of a Lilac brick you can clearly see the missing dimples. :)

Cheers,

Patrick.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 11:53:17 AM by Patrick Hogan »

Marc

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2016, 03:16:03 PM »
So in your opinion Patrick it's still useable?

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2016, 05:50:59 PM »
Yes it is in the same condition as it left the factory.........  maybe just a bit of rust but otherwise all the definition of the bark texture is spot on.

The later Sage vases would all probably have missing dimples ...... :)

If it had fallen into the wrong hands it could have had the broken/missing nails replaced by drilling a hole and banging in a short length of nail.

Kerrin

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2016, 06:46:39 PM »
Thanks Patrick very charitable of you donating it to the VA

the bottom left corner of the middle brick  is the worse for wear you can see it on all the later colours and JA examples.

The other thing i like about this image is that it shows the reversed bricks were purposely blown upside down ;)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 06:48:17 PM by Kerrin »

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2016, 10:52:49 AM »
Fascinating. Patrick, it is very generous of you to donate the mould and for sharing this with us. Like Kerrin, the information re "reverse bricks" is very interesting.
This is why I love this forum.

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2016, 12:10:03 PM »
That is so cool to see that iconic mould and great it has a new, secure home. I have one of Jonathan's Bricklayers made in 2006 from that mould and you can clearly see the missing dimples:

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2018, 07:12:42 PM »
Could you re-add these photos please Patrick
Cheers,
Chris

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2018, 08:26:27 PM »
Could you re-add these photos please Patrick

I am working on it Chris..... it is all because Photobucket are trying to make money.

You can find an add on to Firefox that allows you to see all my images that were uploaded to photobucket.

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2018, 09:05:38 PM »
SORTED  :) :) :)

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2018, 09:15:24 PM »
The V & A have done a great job cataloguing it.........

http://collections.vam.ac.uk/item/O1325480/vase-mould-geoffrey-baxter/
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 09:19:50 PM by Patrick Hogan »