Whitefriars Glass Forum

Hello?

Re: Hello?
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2016, 12:53:06 PM »
There are 7 Whitefriars or related FB sites

Marc

« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2016, 01:01:58 PM »
Yes Whitefriars "related" pages. They are not all groups.

« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2016, 01:22:15 PM »
i think the ones above are all groups.

Marc

« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2016, 01:27:12 PM »
The "Whitefriars Glass" page is an interest page for information. Michelle Chapmans (CR) is a selling page not a group.

« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2016, 01:43:42 PM »
This is fast turning into a competition.........  :)

Who can name the most Facebook Whitefriars Groups ..

:)

« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2016, 01:46:33 PM »
Ok that that makes 6 then :)

« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2016, 02:26:46 PM »
The rise of the facebook pages didn't help this site and may have contributed to it's demise but it certainly didn't cause it. Nobody forced anybody to use the f/book pages and ignore this forum the rot had already set in long before. The recession was the major cause. The good years were actually a blip the revival set off by the Manchester exhibition and the books that followed then the emergence of the daytime collectors programmes everybody had spare money the country was booming with everybody spending money, most of them didn't really have people were collecting everything from bud vases to brick vases then bang the recession hit, the small time collectors disappeared the big hitters tightened their belts and became more selective. You were then left with very few new collectors a core group of people trying to keep things ticking over on here most of the postings were from 1 post wonders who were setting out to be sellers and just wanted a quick reply and a quick turnaround on their items. To blame the f/book pages for that is simply absurd. 
Cheers,
Chris

« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2016, 03:17:28 PM »
I agree with all that apart from last line. People have steered towards FB groups because they easier use, everyone knows that. The same is happening to the GMB.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 03:19:06 PM by Wolfie Rayner »

« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2016, 09:19:20 PM »
Hi Terry how's it going
Cheers,
Chris

« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2016, 09:58:03 PM »
Hi Chris

I'm OK.

It's good to see the site being used again.

Cheers   Terry   ;D

MikeK

« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2016, 10:17:23 PM »
As the newest member here, relatively speaking, this is a dull site with very little activity.  I initially came here to lurk because I am a new Whitefriars collector and a lot of Internet searches pointed to this site.  The information was free, easily accessible, and there was no incentive to join.

My initial observations were not good, and I was a bit disappointed with the Links Page.  Of the 21 websites referenced on that page, 11 are broken, irrelevant, or no longer exist.  A couple that still work are of no current value to anyone looking for Whitefriars information.  I had concerns that the rest of this site would be as neglected as the Links page.  However, there was still enough great information elsewhere here and I was happy.  I became a member because a couple of the posts intrigued me and I wanted to join in the conversations.  I did not want to be a "one-post member" who joined to ask "is this genuine" and then disappear, but I also know I lack the experience to contribute to the impressive body of knowledge.

I do not use Facebook, but I appreciate how difficult it is to compete with social media sites.  I own and manage two specific theme websites.  One is established with nearly 10,000 members and almost 4,000,000 posts.  The other is new (went online in April) with two members and 84 posts.  The first website, dedicated to photography, will be around for a while, but I'll give the second website, dedicated to a specific Cornish ceramic factory that no longer exists, a year to see if there is any interest before deciding if I want to renew the domain and XenForo license.  Neither site generates income and I maintain them out of the passion for the topics.

Concerning the posting of images, I don't allow members of my websites to upload images or files to my server.  I don't want to be an image hosting site and be responsible for maintaining an expanding online storage.  There are plenty of free and paid hosting sites, such as Flickr, Photobucket, Smugmug, and Zenfolio, and all provide HTML and BBCode links for embedding images.  This keeps my server costs reasonable and allows members to retain control of their intellectual property.

My biggest complaint about this website is the structure and organization.  From what I can see, 96-percent of the posts are in one forum.  This is a nightmare to navigate and try to find anything.  The structure should have evolved as the site matured to accommodate the different topics.  Applying the acuity of hindsight, creating sub-fora for the different eras, styles, or types of glass would have been a good start.  As it is now, the General Forum is a big bucket into which nearly everything is tossed.

I hope my comments are taken in the good intent in which they are given.  Despite the warts and bumps, I'll be here for a while unless an administrator deletes my user account.  :)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 10:18:54 PM by MikeK »

« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2016, 10:45:17 PM »
Hi Mike,

A very interesting post from you and obviously you have given much thought to it ...............

I will reply in more length later and hopefully tomorrow. 

I am a keen amateur photographer and who love a link to your website.

All best wishes,

Patrick. ( Site admin )

Marc

« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2016, 11:09:05 PM »
Hi Mike.

I understood about 2% of what you said. But the bits I did understand I agree with. Facebook is easy and this site needs to be. There is a lot of stuff that doesn't work anymore like the original gallery, isit etc,etc. The forum ain't too bad when you get used to it although it needs a revamp.

Marc (just a member)

MikeK

« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2016, 11:36:50 PM »
Facebook is easy and this site needs to be.
Hi Marc,

This is the heart of what I was saying.  I feel awkward barging in as a newbie and pointing to the elephants in the room, but I don't have an emotional attachment (yet) to this site and can be candid.  I would like to see what this site can be and certainly hope I am around to be part of it.

MikeK

« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2016, 11:39:06 PM »
I am a keen amateur photographer and who love a link to your website.
Hi Patrick,

I sent you a PM with more information.

Best regards,
Mike