Whitefriars Glass Forum

W86 goblet found? Or is it the 3033?

W86 goblet found? Or is it the 3033?
« on: June 14, 2016, 10:44:35 AM »
This was for sale on ebay last week. I didn't haggle (rather surprisingly!!) and paid the full amount of ?40. Always on my wish list, I didn't hesitate at this price.
It is the 8" version and weighs 1.5kg. The colour appears to be one of the many shades of sea green that exist from this era. Shades lighter than my later 30/40's examples from the Whitefriars stable but darker than the much later ocean green. It is in superb condition.
Looking back, colours from this period have been discussed at length and mine does not seem to compare with the much darker shades that have been published. I also noticed that if soda or lead glass had been used then this might provide a clue as to the manufacturer? Hence I have provided the weight above.
Any thoughts? Can anyone compare weights for me?
I now have at least two from volume 8 of the Glass Association Journal.

Re: W86 goblet found? Or is it the 3033?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2016, 10:30:40 PM »
Hello Andrew, lovely item of glass you bought. I think it is the Elfverson/Stromberg 3033 from the journal.
I have posted a picture of my hooped vase which appears on the other page of the journal just for you to see if there is any similarity to the green of your goblet.
I was hooked on this stuff after I saw graham cooley's showcase of Elfverson/Stromberg at the country seat many years ago.
Since the catalogue in the  journal was published it has never been far from my reach.
Happy hunting,
Tim

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2016, 11:00:47 AM »
Thanks for that but mine seems greener!!!
Looking back at the other posts, I just wondered if what people were calling "Sea Green" is in fact "Tourmaline Green"? I know that the more experienced have looked at this and photographs do not always show true colours. I just think back to the Tourmaline gem stone and how green and dark this was.
Perhaps "weight" to decide soda glass or otherwise might help to determine Stromberg or not.
NOTE: - Not getting hung-up on this as it is a beautiful piece - just adding to the debate (I hope!!)

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2016, 02:30:35 PM »
This is not a  Whitefriars wuidart vase, stromberg I should think.